Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

lightning bugs & FireFlys



I Remeber Catching "lighting bugs" when I was a little kid...in the summer time in my back yard...I remeber watching them in jar in my bedroom light up I thought it was kool and then next day release them.


Do you wonder where fireflies got their internal light? Fireflies actually contain the so-called Luciferin. This substance when combined with oxygen will enable them to produce light. This process is called bioluminescence and they light up to attract the mate. Same is true with angler fish which also produces light, but they use it to catch the prey.


2 comments:

Nicole said...

Fireflies are super cool! I've only seen them once! How do you catch them?

You should so do a blog about Angler fish. Those are the coolest!!!

Jen said...

you can catch them by cupping your hands togther :) Once the sun is starting to set you will see them start to light up...they arent very fast and are not very high off the ground although it varies sometimes they are though..I always seen them during the summer time the most lol
I dont know it may just be a southern thing lol